US abandons efforts to revive nuclear deal with Iran


Nuclear research in Iran

After the USA under Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew from the nuclear agreement with Iran, Iran is no longer sticking to it either.


(Photo: Reuters)

the United States give efforts to revive the nuclear deal with the Iran up for now. While the door will be left open for negotiations, the US government will now focus on a policy of sanctions and pressure, US special envoy for Iran Robert Malley told journalists in Paris on Monday.

He justified the change of course with the actions of Iranian security forces against anti-government demonstrators and with the sale of combat drones Russia. In addition, the negotiations have not progressed. At talks in Vienna, a compromise in the dispute over the agreement had been sought for months without success.

The 2015 agreement between the Islamic Republic and an international group of six countries limited uranium enrichment in Iran. This should make the development of nuclear weapons more difficult. In return, sanctions against Iran were lifted. In 2018, then US President Donald Trump unilaterally terminated the treaty and imposed new sanctions. Iran then began breaking its promises. The current US President Joe Biden originally wanted to revive the agreement.

If Iran crosses new borders with its nuclear program, then there will be a response coordinated with its European partners, said Malley without going into specifics. According to diplomats, Malley will coordinate with his French, British and German counterparts in Paris on Tuesday.

Top jobs of the day

Find the best jobs now and
be notified by email.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has repeatedly warned that Iran is stepping up its efforts to enrich Iran. Highly enriched uranium is a raw material for atomic bombs. Iran denies having any such intentions but does not allow international inspections of its nuclear facilities.

EU and UK impose new sanctions on Iran

Meanwhile, the EU has decided to impose sanctions on the interior minister and senior police and military officials in the Islamic Republic over Iran’s role in the crackdown on protests in the country. The EU condemns the unacceptable violent action against protesters, said EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell. “We stand with the people of Iran and support their right to protest peacefully and to freely express their demands and views,” he said after the EU foreign ministers’ agreement on the sanctions on Monday.

In Iran, since the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini in September after her arrest by vice squads, people across the country have taken to the streets to protest the multifaceted restrictions on her daily life, particularly the situation of women. From the point of view of the vice squad, Amini is said to have violated the strict dress code because she did not wear her headscarf “correctly”.

The punitive measures include asset freezes and travel bans for 29 Iranian officials, including Interior Minister Ahmed Wahidi. With a view to the actions of the police against the protests, from the EU’s point of view, he is “responsible for serious human rights violations in Iran”. In addition, the sanctions are aimed at the state television station Press TV, which is “responsible for the production and broadcasting of the forced confessions of prisoners”. Borrell spoke on Twitter of punitive measures against 29 people and three companies or organizations.

In what appears to have been a coordinated move, Britain announced similar measures against Iranian Communications Minister Issa Sarepur and several local security officials and Revolutionary Guards officials

More: “Ukrainians have proof”: G7 countries want to punish Iran for military aid to Russia



Source link