Ukrainians are for resistance at any cost


Dhe Ukrainian leadership around President Volodymyr Zelenskyj is inflexible. She keeps saying that the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Ukraine could not be the subject of negotiations with Russia. The offensive of the Ukrainian army shows how serious it is about liberating the territories occupied by Russia.

In this question white Zelenskyj all relevant political forces in Ukraine behind them. And not only them, but also a very large majority of Ukrainians, according to a new study by three Oxford University political scientists.

According to a representative survey conducted in July, 79 percent of Ukrainians would not accept a solution to the conflict that would lead to one of Russia controlled government - regardless of what sacrifices the defensive struggle still demands. The remaining 21 percent are also unwilling to acquiesce to Russian demands, but they attach greater importance to the country's territorial integrity and are willing to make political concessions on condition that territorial integrity is restored in return.

It was not possible to ask everywhere

These clear values ​​came as a surprise to them, say Janina Dill and Carl Müller-Crepon, who designed the survey and summarized their results together with Marnie Howlett in an as yet unpublished working paper that is available to the FAZ. For the studies, employees of the Kyiv International Institute of Sociology interviewed 1,160 people in mid-July in all parts of Ukraine where the security situation permitted. Excluded were Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhia, Kherson, Kharkiv and Crimea, which were wholly or partially Russian-occupied, as well as Mykolaiv and Sumy, which were under constant fire, and security concerns arose during the interrogation.









The survey took the form of face-to-face interviews with interviewers. These presented the respondents with eight possible scenarios for the next three months of the war. These would lead to different political outcomes, with varying degrees of risk and sacrifice. The assumption was that greater concessions to Russia would mean fewer casualties among Ukrainian soldiers and civilians, and a smaller risk of nuclear escalation.



Source link