Dead and injured after explosion in Istanbul – Politics


In the heavy explosion in a shopping street in Istanbul According to Turkish President Reccep Tayyip Erdoğan, at least six people have been killed and more than 50 others injured. He described the explosion in Istanbul’s Istiklal shopping street on television as a “vile attack”.

The governor of the Turkish metropolis, Ali Yerlikaya, had previously reported the explosion on Twitter and reported deaths and injuries. Rescue workers and the police are on site in large numbers, reports the state broadcaster TRT.

Images shared on social media showed people lying on the ground. It was also said on social networks that shops had been closed and roads blocked. The Istiklal shopping street is a tourist hotspot in the European part of the Turkish metropolis.

Turkey: undefined
(Photo: SZ map: Eiden; Mapcreator.io/OSM)

After the blast, people in the city were urged to avoid the area. Surrounding streets should also be kept free of traffic, the broadcaster TRT reported, citing authorities on Sunday.

The broadcasting regulator imposed a news ban

In the meantime, the Turkish broadcasting supervisory authority RTÜK has imposed a temporary news ban on the media. Reports of the blast should be avoided to avoid fear and panic among the population, a letter said. The broadcasters CNN Türk and TRT, for example, then interrupted their reporting. The Supreme Radio and Television Council has previously imposed similar bans after attacks, accidents and some political issues.



Source link