Videos on social media on Wednesday apparently showed more than a hundred Foxconn employees breaking down barriers at the plant in the Chinese industrial city of Zhengzhou and clashing with people in protective suits.
Men with sticks banged on surveillance cameras and windows of a building at the site, according to scenes broadcast live on short-video platform Kuaishou.
Some videos showed workers complaining about the food they were given, while others said they had not received the extra payments they had been promised.
Top jobs of the day
Find the best jobs now and
be notified by email.
According to reports, party members are to replace staff
Foxconn previously said the company uses “closed-loop management” — which refers to employees living incommunicado at their workplace. This followed thousands of work stoppages in October following complaints from employees about inadequate corona protection measures and a lack of help for employees who fell ill.
Reuters was initially unable to independently verify the authenticity of the videos. Foxconn did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Reports had said China’s ruling communists had ordered party members to replace Foxconn employees who left the factory. The company did not respond to requests for confirmation of the reports and inquiries about details of the alleged arrangement.
The Zhengzhou plant is responsible for 70 percent of global iPhone production and employs around 200,000 workers. Apple is already expecting fewer iPhone deliveries due to the production disruptions.