Arson attacks on Russian military replacement offices


In Russia since President Wladimir Putin announced the “partial mobilization” on Wednesday, at least six arson attacks have been carried out on military replacement offices. Such cases were reported from Saint Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod, the Orenburg and Amur regions, as well as the Khabarovsk and Transbaikalia regions. Apparently there was no major damage, and no one is said to have been injured. Such cases had already existed after the start of the major invasion of Ukraine. In addition, arson attacks on administration buildings have now been reported from two cities.

Meanwhile, there is growing evidence that Putin has given his Defense Ministry free rein to use Wednesday's mobilization decree to replenish weakened units. "Categories of citizens necessary to perform tasks" would be called up, a representative of the general staff said vaguely on Thursday, naming some military uses. However, he emphasized that "no order of convocation" was specified and that the "personnel requirements" of the units were decisive. Narrow exceptions to conscription were mentioned, such as invalids, parents of four children under the age of 16 and employees of the "increased working" armaments sector. On Friday, the Ministry of Defense listed further exceptions for economic sectors, such as information technology, media and finance. However, the media reported about companies from which employees were called up shortly after the announcement of the "partial mobilization", for example from the state airline "Aeroflot".

The Joint Chiefs of Staff went on to say that each region has a "specific mission to deliver mobilized resources." That suggests numbers. Defense Minister Sergei Schojgu spoke on Wednesday of 300,000 reservists who would initially be drafted. However, there are increasing reports that the official category system based on age and rank does not allow a reliable prediction of whether someone will be drafted or not, especially since the database for mobilization is said to have been neglected for years.

Civil rights attorney Pavel Chikov reported on Telegram about numerous cases of people who should not have been called up, especially because of their age. Confusion also prevails with regard to travel bans; In some places there are no bans in the mobilization order for reservists to leave their places of residence without permission, but in many places there are.



Source link