After Elon Musk’s takeover
These stars are turning their backs on Twitter
Tesla boss Elon Musk recently took over Twitter. As a result, some stars have said goodbye to the short message service.
It didn’t take long until after Elon Musk’s (51) Twitter takeover last week the first changes were made. The entrepreneur has fired senior executives and dubbed himself “Chief Twit.” There is also a growing fear among many that hate speech and other inappropriate content will be allowed on the platform more.
For example, the “Washington Post” recently reported the New Contagion Research Institute (NCRI) discovery. The group, which analyzes millions of messages on social media, found that use of the N-word on Twitter increased nearly 500 percent in the first 12 hours after Musk’s acquisition. Racist insults have also increased. The Tesla boss added more fuel to the fire by explaining: “Comedy is now legal on Twitter.” For some celebrities, that seems to be too much of a good thing – they have said goodbye to the short message service.
Actors and producers have given up accounts
For example, the “Grey’s Anatomy” creator Shonda Rhimes (52) wrote already on Saturday morning (October 29th): “I’m not staying here for whatever Elon has planned. Bye.”
Actor Alex Winter (57), “This Is US” producer Ken Olin (68) and showrunner Brian Koppelman (56) joined the protest. winter reposted via Instagram like Musk’s comedy comment and captioned it “RIP Twitter.” Koppelmann published on Instagram a screenshot of him deleting the Twitter app. “Hello everyone. I’m out. No judgment”, explained Olin.
Singer Toni Braxton speaks plain language
singer-songwriter Sara Bareilles (42) tweeted: “Well. It was fun, Twitter. I’m out. See you on other platforms, guys. Sorry, this just isn’t for me.”
Singer Toni Braxton (55) finds the changes clear words on Twitter: “I am shocked and appalled by some of the ‘free speech’ I have seen on this platform since it was taken over. Hate speech under the guise of ‘free speech’ is unacceptable, so I choose to avoid Twitter.”
These stars want to stay
But there are also stars who want to stay on the platform. “Star Trek” star George Takei (85) explained about: “I do not go anywhere.” You need other voices and he has never shied away from a “fight”.
Actor Josh Gad (41) share withthat he’s considering leaving the app. “There’s a major exodus happening on this platform. Not sure if I’m staying or not.” At the moment he tends to stay. But hate speech is not what he signed up for on the platform.
Elon Musk wants to charge money for verification
On Friday (October 28) announced Elon Muskthat Twitter will set up a “Content Management Council” that “represents very different opinions”. He also stated that prior to the convening of this panel, “no major decisions will be made about content or the reinstatement of accounts” that have been suspended.
Another change that should be pending: Musk wants to charge money for the verification of users. Up to now, the blue tick, which guarantees the authenticity of profiles, was free of charge. But soon the checkmark will only be available for customers with the “Twitter Blue” subscription – it currently costs $4.99. But soon the price will rise to $19.99 a month, like the technology blog “The Verge” citing an unspecified source.
Thriller author Stephen King (75) sees this extremely critically. “$20 a month to keep my blue tick? They should pay me,” wrote the 75-year-old. If that is introduced, he will be gone.